Monday, August 16, 2010

Sometimes...

Sometimes I miss being 21…I could eat out every night with friends and work it off dancing until the wee hours at a nightclub.

Sometimes I miss being someone’s daughter…I could rant and rave to my mom about this friend or that friend and she could put things in perspective. She also, did all the grocery shopping, cleaning and paying of the dreaded bills.

Sometimes I miss being in gymnastics…I loved the energy I had during gymnastics. I always hated when it was time to go home.

Sometimes I miss my kids…All day when I am at work and when they have sleepovers at their grammy’s or friends. The constant going, going, going is what keeps me moving. At work I slow down and watch the time go by. No random questions from my 9-year old and no just a thought I love you from my 5-year old.

Sometimes I miss *NSYNC…I don’t think I have ever loved another band or group since. They were a crucial milestone in me becoming an adult. A lot of memories I have from that time of my life is centered around and *NSYNC song.

Sometimes I miss being 100 pounds lighter…Oh yea THE BIGGIE. So 3 kids in a 5 year time span seemed like a good idea at the time. I always thought I would have time to exercise and take off the weight but it compounded on top of itself and now finding 30 minutes to go to the gym is a task within itself.

Sometimes I miss my friends…Over the last decade, I have lost some friends and made some new ones. But I can’t help of think of all the good times I have had with each and everyone one of them.

Sometimes I miss my first apartment…Nothing at all special about it. But I had no curfew, my own house key, my own dishes and my own food. Life was simple and I was only responsible for myself. And it didn’t have a bad location, down the street from my work and the mall.

Sometimes I miss being the youngest worker in the office…Little expectations were placed on me as the youngest person in the office. When I would do something unexpected I would blow everyone’s minds. “Wow you did that all by yourself. Without anyone asking you?” Now EVERYTHING is expected. I should just know better.

Sometimes I miss family vacations…Mom would pack us in the car like sardines and drive. We went from Denver to South Carolina to Florida to Texas and back to Colorado. We went from Denver to Oregon to Nevada and back to Colorado. And although I slept most of the trip I wasn’t the one driving.

Sometimes I miss our house in the mountains…Tony, Veronica and I would go “exploring”. We would leave early in the morning and just walk through the mountains and pretty much get lost all day. But somehow we would always make it home before dinner.

But….when I think of all the things I do miss I remember all of the good things I have NOW.
I am 32. Older, more mature and settled.
I am someone’s mother. I am raising the future.
I don’t have to run a mile everyday before gymnastics practice anymore.
The kids always come home. And they shower me with kisses and hugs and lots of stories so I don’t feel left out.
Justin Timberlake is a part of my adulthood and he continues to entertain me. And like a schoolgirl I run to Best buy to get his new CD whenever one comes out.
I have the ability to make new friends and can still cherish good times with the old ones.
I live in a house and a yard.
I have a job I love and appreciate everyday. With the economy as bad as it is, I have heard of so many being without jobs for over a year and its sad. I stayed at home once and I remember how frustrating to try and re-enter the job force.
Although I am not the youngest person in the office I am not the oldest either. Being somewhere in the middle is okay with me.
I get the pick the radio station on our car rides. Although now I am the one doing the driving I get to burn the CD’s that we listen too and I make the kids endure my music. I don’t get to take little catnaps but I determine the pitstops (although Kayne can clear a car when he says he has to go…we don’t argue…I just stop)
I get to choose new places to “explore”. The kids are adventurous like we were as kids so sometimes we will go on walks that take us to new places. Or drive down miscellaneous roads that spit us out into new areas of town.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post! Miss you friend ♥ (sometimes i think we are sisters from another mother lol) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Miss Kellie!! I miss you too my friend. I always tell you I think we were separated at birth :) Love ya sista!!

    ReplyDelete